Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Japan and South Korea launch energy security framework

    May 20, 2026

    Etihad expands Paris route with double daily A380 flights

    May 20, 2026

    South Korea launches $665.5 million industrial growth fund

    May 20, 2026
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    Tripoli News DailyTripoli News Daily
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Tripoli News DailyTripoli News Daily
    Home » Dozens killed as Swiss resort nightclub burns during celebrations
    News

    Dozens killed as Swiss resort nightclub burns during celebrations

    January 1, 2026
    Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Tumblr Email Reddit VKontakte

    EuroWire, BERN: Dozens of people were killed and around 100 others injured early Thursday when a fire swept through a crowded nightclub in the Swiss alpine resort of Crans-Montana during New Year’s Eve celebrations, according to local police. The blaze erupted shortly after 1:30 a.m. at Le Constellation, a popular late-night venue in the luxury ski destination, drawing a massive emergency response as flames engulfed the building within minutes. Police said several dozen victims were confirmed dead, while many of the injured sustained severe burns or smoke inhalation. Frederic Gisler, commander of the cantonal police, said emergency teams faced chaotic scenes as guests fled the club and rescuers battled to contain the blaze in freezing temperatures. Hospitals across the Wallis canton were placed on high alert, and medical centers in Bern, Lausanne, and Geneva received transfers as authorities declared a regional emergency.

    Dozens killed as Swiss resort nightclub burns during celebrations
    Swiss authorities investigate cause of Crans-Montana disaster. (AI-enhanced image)

    Eyewitness footage shared on social media showed intense orange flames and thick smoke pouring from the building while people screamed and attempted to escape through narrow exits. Firefighters worked through the night to prevent the blaze from spreading to adjacent properties, which include several hotels and private chalets popular among holiday visitors. Authorities said the cause of the fire remains under investigation, though early reports suggest it may have been linked to pyrotechnics or special effects used during a New Year concert inside the venue. Investigators are examining video evidence and interviewing witnesses to determine whether safety regulations were breached. Officials emphasized that there was no indication of foul play or a deliberate attack. Police cordoned off the area, and airspace above the resort was temporarily closed to allow emergency helicopters to transport the injured. Rescue operations continued into the morning as teams searched the charred remains of the nightclub for survivors.

    Eyewitnesses describe chaos as flames engulfed the venue

    By midday, local officials confirmed that the fire had been fully extinguished, though structural damage made access to parts of the building hazardous. Swiss President Viola Amherd, who hails from the region, expressed deep sorrow over the tragedy, praising first responders for their swift actions and pledging full federal support for the investigation. “This is a dark day for  Switzerland,” she said in a statement. “Our thoughts are with the victims, their families, and all those affected.” Crans-Montana, known for its upscale hotels, ski slopes, and winter festivals, attracts thousands of visitors each holiday season. Authorities said many victims were likely foreign nationals, reflecting the resort’s international clientele. The incident marks one of the deadliest fires in Switzerland in recent decades, prompting renewed scrutiny of fire safety standards in public entertainment venues.

    Memorial service planned for victims of Crans-Montana fire

    Officials said further updates would be released once the identification of victims is complete and the cause of the fire is confirmed. Emergency hotlines have been established for families seeking information about missing relatives. Swiss  authorities urged patience as forensic teams work to identify the dead, a process expected to take several days due to the extent of the damage. Grief counselors have been deployed to assist survivors and relatives gathered in nearby hospitals. Local authorities also announced that a memorial service will be held in Crans-Montana once recovery operations conclude, allowing residents and visitors to pay tribute to the victims of the tragedy.

    Related Posts

    Japan and South Korea launch energy security framework

    May 20, 2026

    Etihad expands Paris route with double daily A380 flights

    May 20, 2026

    South Korea launches $665.5 million industrial growth fund

    May 20, 2026

    Dubai Green Corridor keeps cargo moving during disruptions

    May 19, 2026

    GME posts strongest trading week in two decades

    May 19, 2026

    Porsche reveals bespoke 911 GT3 RS in Macadamiametallic

    May 18, 2026
    News Bulletin

    Japan and South Korea launch energy security framework

    May 20, 2026

    Etihad expands Paris route with double daily A380 flights

    May 20, 2026

    South Korea launches $665.5 million industrial growth fund

    May 20, 2026

    Dubai Green Corridor keeps cargo moving during disruptions

    May 19, 2026

    GME posts strongest trading week in two decades

    May 19, 2026

    Porsche reveals bespoke 911 GT3 RS in Macadamiametallic

    May 18, 2026

    Climate warming drives oxygen decline in rivers

    May 18, 2026

    UAE mediation delivers 410 Russia Ukraine swap

    May 16, 2026

    Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak expands health response in DRC

    May 16, 2026
    © 2026 Tripoli News Daily | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.